Tuesday, November 11, 2014

No Award Required

By Rick Van Arnam

On May 19 of this year I stood in the same spot as I did in 1984 – in a living room of what was once a fraternity house and is now home to the admission office for Norwich University.  It was a perfect setting then and remains so now, graced with dark wood paneling, a large fireplace, and oil paintings of the campus in earlier days.

In 1984 I accepted my Regular Army commission as a Second Lieutenant, becoming a naïve infantry officer totally incapable of mapping out the career I was saying goodbye to thirty years later as a far less naïve Colonel.  Like many things in the Army, this was a mandatory event.  I was told that I had to have a retirement ceremony.  Unlike many of those mandatory events, though, I looked forward to this one. I planned it on my terms inviting close friends to join me as I shared final words upon which I had thought for months.  After that, we would head to another dark paneled room locally known as an Irish pub where we would tell some stories, close the bar, and close out my career. 

The Army has retirement ceremonies for many reasons, all of which are good.  People come to celebrate a career and the retiring soldier has one final opportunity to thank those with whom he or she has served.  There is usually food and beer involved so, let’s be honest, that will always attract a few more stragglers to the event.  The most important reason, though, is that it is simply the right thing to do.  But what I hate about the ceremony is the obligatory end-of-service award.

There was a day when awards meant something to me, but that day has long passed.  I remember as a Second Lieutenant being awarded the Army Achievement Medal for being on a team that finished first in a 20k race.  I thought the trophy was recognition enough but someone believed it deserved an award.  Later as a Captain, I was given another award for writing a daily newsletter for two weeks while deployed to Honduras.  Each day I watched CNN Headline News several times in a row on the only television available on the compound.  I furiously took notes and turned those into a one-page newsletter that was distributed to our Special Forces Soldiers in who-knows-where locations not far from the Honduran-Nicaraguan border.  I guess they liked getting the news.  I thought I was simply doing my job, but someone believed it deserved an award.

Throughout history soldiers have served with few expectations for recognition.  This was true back even before our founding fathers wrote, “All men are created equal.” On April 19, 1775, ordinary farmers, blacksmiths and merchants took up arms to defend their belief that, “We had always been free, and were meant to always be free.” [i] Citizen-soldiery was born on this belief and that belief became a promise fulfilled – a promise that their children and grandchildren would have more opportunity than from where they had come.[ii]  Taking up arms was never done on the expectation of receiving an award.

Neither was that the expectation when a bit less than a hundred years later this promise of freedom was put to the ultimate test during the Civil War.  Citizens-soldiers like Joshua Chamberlain once again stood, not by plan or by desire, at history’s pivotal hour.  His simple, one-word command of “Bayonets” on the afternoon of July 2, 1863 helped to forever secure our States as United.

And less than one hundred years after Gettysburg soldiers participated in battles ranging in size from the largest the world had ever witnessed to the smallest – the latter of which Rick Atkinson, author of the Liberation Trilogy termed a “nameless skirmish.”  Soldiers died in both and without the expectation, or care, of receiving an award.  Their ultimate sacrifice is why the end-of-service award is such an awkward moment to me. 

Pinned in my mind and more important than any award pinned to my uniform is one final unanswered question and that is this.  Had I faced real danger, I don’t know if I would have measured up.  How does anyone know, really?

When I was young and very naïve I boasted about wanting to face that danger.  I know I felt that way the morning Rangers jumped into Grenada during the fall of my senior year of college.  The year was 1983 and I was twenty-one years old. 

Truthfully, and despite a lot of training, I really don’t know how I would have performed under similar circumstances.  I don’t know if I would have reacted fast enough had I been caught in a complex ambush in Afghanistan or come face-to-face with an insurgent who had spent most of his life fighting.  Any success I achieved in the Army wasn’t because I was an elite fighter; it was because I simply worked hard.  I probably spent the first few years of my career wanting to know the answer to that question and the years since 9/11 growing comfortable in leaving the question unanswered. 

And through this processing is my real end-of-service award – that simply having the opportunity to serve is award enough.



[i] Nathanial Philbrook, Bunker Hill.
[ii] Nathanial Philbrook, Bunker Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment